Every year I like to survey the major composer-related anniversaries that the upcoming year has in store. There’s a fairly comprehensive list here. (Thanks again, Osbert.) The ones which I am likely to observe in one way or another are:
- Robert Fayrfax (1464–1521) [23 April]
- C.P.E. Bach (1714–1788) [8 March]
- Christoph Willibald von Gluck (1714–1787) [2 July]
- Richard Strauss (1864–1949) [11 June]
- Pierre de Manchicourt (1510–1564) [5 November]
- Jean-Philippe Rameau (1683–1764) [12 September]
It’s a pretty minor set of anniversaries, especially compared to last year. The biggest one is probably Strauss’, but even that is only a sesquicentennial. Still, I’m planning to make a survey of his major operas, some of which I’ve never heard. I feel like I should know the music of Gluck and Rameau better than I do, so perhaps these anniversaries will spur me on.